Thursday, August 19, 2010

Capoeira Maculelê



I recently took a capoeira class and it was amazing! Capoeira is an Afro-Brazilian art form that combines elements of martial arts, music, and dance. I have been a fan of capoeira for years, so it was a big treat to go to my first class!

The studio I went to specializes in Maculelê, (Pronounced: mah-koo-leh-LEH), a style of capoeira where a number of people gather in a circle called a roda. In the roda, each person brandishes a pair of long sticks, called grimas, traditionally made from biriba wood from Brazil. As the Maculelê rhythm plays on the atabaque, the people in the circle begin rhythmically striking the sticks together. The leader sings, and the people in the circle respond by singing the chorus of the songs.

After having such a great class, I did some web surfing and found this amazing video of capoeira Maculelê - it is so energetic and lively! I love the fusion of percussion with dance!

Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment